Nikwax Tech Wash
This product is a non-detergent soap which can be used regularly to clean clothing and equipment without damaging the Durable Water Repellent, DWR, coating. Use this product instead of detergents or washing powder.
- Prolongs the life of gear and optimizes outdoor performance
- Maintains breathability and original water-repellency
- Easy to apply - can be used in a washing machine
- Suitable for use on all fabrics, including technical textiles
- Lifts out dirt that can attract water and mask water repellent finishes
- Removes detergent residues left behind by previous washes
- Environmentally friendly, biodegradable, non flammable, non hazardous
- Does not contain fluorocarbons
- 10 fl. oz. bottle
- Recommended for GORE-TEX®, Ultrex®, Entrant®, Permatex®, eVENT®
- Suggested use: High activity / technically advanced garments, Nylon and synthetic tents, rucksacks, awnings, marquees, fabric accessories, camera bags
Nikwax® was first produced as a commercial product in a North London flat. In 1977, at 22 years of age, Nick mixed his first order with a discarded tea urn, a Primus stove, a jug and materials bought from a local hardware store. The wax was then poured into tins which he silk screened by hand. Nick sold his products to the outdoor trade. Later he bought an Inter Rail card to introduce his product into Europe. Next he moved to a workshop in Clerkenwell in London and before he knew it, Nick was selling his product to eight countries. The product was a non-softening waterproofing wax for leather boots. It was so effective that it set the standard for a new breed of aftercare products under the Nikwax brand.
As a walker and outdoor enthusiast Nick turned his imaginative mind to walkers' apparel, which, as with the boots, needed to stay waterproof, wind-resistant and comfortable. It was around 1980 that the beginning of Green Thinking, awareness of ozone depletion and the problems relating to aerosols, arose. In 1983, determined to find new, easy and clean ways to waterproof garments, Nick developed an entirely novel approach. Harmful and flammable solvents were replaced with water, and the Nikwax Water-Based Range was created.
Nikwax was the first company in the world to produce a range of water-based products for restoring waterproofing in the home. Not only did the products avoid emitting harmful solvents into the atmosphere, but they were also very easy to use, allowing people to reproof their clothes in a washing machine. The range of Nikwax products has grown to encompass systems for a multitude of uses; from ropes to tents, indeed, almost anything that needed regular help to maintain its resistance to water.
Nikwax Tech Wash