Nikwax Down Wash Direct
- Revitalizes loft and insulation, without damaging the structure of the down
- Easy to apply - can be used in a washing machine
- Lifts out dirt that can attract water and mask water repellent finishes
- Removes residues left behind by household detergents
- Removes body oils and dirt from both the fabric and the down fill
- Restores the Durable Water Repellency (DWR) of both the outer fabric and the down
- Revives breathability
- Prolongs the life of gear and optimizes outdoor performance
- Environmentally friendly, biodegradable, non flammable, non hazardous
- 10 fl. oz. bottle
- Suggested use: All feather-filled / down clothing and equipment
Nikwax® was first produced as a commercial product in a North London flat. In 1977, at 22 years of age, Nick mixed his first order with a discarded tea urn, a Primus stove, a jug and materials bought from a local hardware store. The wax was then poured into tins which he silk screened by hand. Nick sold his products to the outdoor trade. Later he bought an Inter Rail card to introduce his product into Europe. Next he moved to a workshop in Clerkenwell in London and before he knew it, Nick was selling his product to eight countries. The product was a non-softening waterproofing wax for leather boots. It was so effective that it set the standard for a new breed of aftercare products under the Nikwax brand.
As a walker and outdoor enthusiast Nick turned his imaginative mind to walkers' apparel, which, as with the boots, needed to stay waterproof, wind-resistant and comfortable. It was around 1980 that the beginning of Green Thinking, awareness of ozone depletion and the problems relating to aerosols, arose. In 1983, determined to find new, easy and clean ways to waterproof garments, Nick developed an entirely novel approach. Harmful and flammable solvents were replaced with water, and the Nikwax Water-Based Range was created.
Nikwax was the first company in the world to produce a range of water-based products for restoring waterproofing in the home. Not only did the products avoid emitting harmful solvents into the atmosphere, but they were also very easy to use, allowing people to reproof their clothes in a washing machine. The range of Nikwax products has grown to encompass systems for a multitude of uses; from ropes to tents, indeed, almost anything that needed regular help to maintain its resistance to water.
Nikwax Down Wash Direct